Practical Marriage Ministry Ideas
During the church service:
- Honor and celebrate milestone anniversaries publicly presenting the couple with flowers, a book or gift basket.
- Occasionally have a couple give their testimony about what they have learned in marriage or how God has worked in their marriage.
- Occasionally give a book review or show a short video clip on marriage (www.bluefishtv.com is one resource)
- Give parents a book on marriage when their baby is dedicated (a strong marriage is the greateest gift they can give that baby)
- Have a sermon, or sermon series, on marriage.
Outside of the church service:
- Start a weekly marriage class.
- Organize monthly date nights and invite community couples to participate. Offer child care so the couple can go to dinner, then provide a special dessert and a brief, classy presentation on marriage when they return.
- Host annual Valentine and/or "I Still Do" banquets.
- Promote "Weekend to Remember" conferences. Pastors can go for free; groups can get significant discounts. Go to www.familylife.com.
- Set up a mentoring program utilizing Prepare/Enrich inventory training. Contact Every Marriage Matters for help or visit www.everymarriagematters.org for ideas.
- Distribute marriage books to your church neighborhood.
- Occasionally utilize appealing bulletin inserts. See www.everymarriagematters.org for ideas.
- Offer engaged community couples the use of your church facilities for FREE - along with free pre-marital counseling/mentoring, of course.
Compiled by Cheri Corder, Family Ministries, Oregon Conference of Seventh-day Adventists: 503-850-3558, email@example.com. Special thanks to Every Marriage Matters.